[sane-devel] LiDE 500F: how to go further?

Pierre Willenbrock pierre at pirsoft.dnsalias.org
Sat May 6 21:08:33 UTC 2006

Hi Ralph,

Ralph Sontag schrieb:
> I have an Canon CanoScan LiDE 500F.
>
> I've added in backend/genesys_devices.c a section as a copy from
> the LiDE 60 - ok, now scanimage list the device:
>
>> scanimage -L
> device `genesys:libusb:001:050' is a Canon LiDE 500F flatbed scanner
>
> But it don't work.

The LiDE 35/40/50/60 are very similar(not to say they have identical
hardware). Your LiDE 500f on the other hand has some differing properties.

> I have a Windows 98 running in qemu. The scanner works in this emulator-
> environment, an I got some debug-messages with usbsnoop:
>
> http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~sontag/sane/usbsnoop.log.1.gz

I only decoded the above log. It looks like a calibration run. First the
driver does some tests on the registers, then on the memory. After this,
 it does the calibration. This should be enough to make the scanner
deliver data using scanimage.

> http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~sontag/sane/usbsnoop.log.2.gz
>
> This are scans with color, 300 dpi.
>

> _After_ working with qemu also scanimage will produce output:
> http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~sontag/sane/scanimage-scan-grey.png
>
> scanimage then also produces log-files:
> http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~sontag/sane/scanimage-debug.log
>
> Without initialisation under W98, the scanner don't work with scanimmager
>  - so it seems, there is at first a problem during initialisation.
> It hangs at
> [genesys] sanei_genesys_read_register (0x41, 0xf0) completed

Please try the attached patch. It may already get scanimage past
initialization. If not, please also send a debug log without win98
initialisation.

> At second the data is wrong: the picture shows only noise.

This is to be expected. The AFE(Analog FrontEnd) chip is not initialised
correctly and the gl841 probably latches digital data at wrong times. To
further complicate this, your scanner uses a CCD-chip, while mine has a CIS.

> I have not enough experience to interprete the log-files, so I ask, what
> to do next.

If you want to, i can send you some perl scripts and instructions on how
to use them. I don't understand all details of the protocol, so there
are some "unknown"s.

> I will try to get some debugging-output with Windows XP and will try to
> start usbmon for debugging with linux.

At least i don't need logs from linux. The sane backend already dumps
most of the relevant information, and does a lot things different to the
windows drivers. Logs from win98 are as good as from winxp.

Regards,
  Pierre