[sane-devel] UMax Powerlook 2100XL under OpenBSD

Alan Corey alancorey at yahoo.com
Wed May 31 15:16:36 UTC 2006

I'm back with another UMax.  I seem to be having a problem with the scsi buffer
size setting.  If I increase it from the default 32768 by even a small amount,
I get an out of memory error immediately on starting to preview.

Using the default of 32768 I can preview and scan in line art and gray scale
modes, and scan small areas in RGB by skipping the preview or using scanimage.
If I try to preview in RGB mode I get an out of memory error after the scanner
has done its initial positioning or calibration.  That's very different from
the timing of what happens if I increase the minimum and it dies as soon as I
click the Preview button.

I'm wondering if it's because the backend is having trouble allocating memory
under OpenBSD.  I've never done any programming under Linux, but OpenBSD (and
FreeBSD) use malloc(), and I don't usually have trouble getting memory.  Or
isn't this just a simple matter of allocating memory?

The box has 512 megs of RAM.  SCSI card is an Adaptec 2940u.  What tests should
I try or what changes should I make?  Actually for this application I'm
planning to use it in gray scale mode anyway, but it would be nice to have RGB
working.

Thanks,

  Alan