[sane-devel] Problems with Epson V700 on Slackware 11

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Nov 6 01:05:50 CET 2006

cl at isbd.net writes:

> I'm trying to get an Epson V700 scanner working on Slackware 11.
>
> I am running 2.6.18.1 kernel compiled myself which I need to support
> the JMicron IDE on my motherboard, I also have a couple of custom
> modules.
>
> Slackware 11 comes with Sane version 1.0.18, "scanimage -V" reports:-
>     scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.18; backend version 1.0.205
>

> Running "sane-find-scanner" finds the scanner OK:-
>     found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x012c [EPSON
>     Scanner]) at libusb:7:2
>
> However "scanimage -L" resolutely refuses to see any scanners at all.
>
> I have added the following line to /etc/scan.d/epson.conf:-
>     usb 0x4b8 0x12c
> and I've commented out everything else in there.  Is this actually
> necessary?

If you use sane-backends-1.0.18, then yes.
If you use the latest CVS, then no.

> Strangely enough xscan does think I've got a scanner, it reports
> correctly that I have an HP 7310 All-in-one and, incorrectly, that I
> have an Epson GT900 (or something like that).

The Perfection V700 "thinks" it's a GT-X900.
# It's marketed as a GT-X900 in Japan.

> I'm pretty sure I have permissions set up OK, all of the above have
> been run as an ordinary user rather than root but I have also tried as
> root and results are the same.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/