[sane-devel] Out of Memory error when scanning at high DPI

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Fri Nov 17 04:45:11 CET 2006

Mark Richards <mark.richards at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi guys,
> 	Thanks for the quick reply.  Attached is the output of attempting to scan a
> 4x6 photo a few times at different settings (SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=25).  Note that
> the out of memory error happens the instant I press the scan button, not
> part-way through a scan or anything.  The scanner doesn't even twitch.  It
> previews fine and scans at lower dpi/colour-depth though.

# OK, I see.
# Somebody sure contributed an ugly hack just to get 4800dpi on the
# 4990 to work ;-{  The epson backend only uses ESC based commands,
# which implies that that you can't even set 4800dpi and even less
# so the scan area you are using and have the device behave.  The
# hack that went in probably shouldn't have ...

Anyway, you can not scan wider than about 3.4 inches without avoiding
this behaviour in sane-backends-1.0.18 on Linux.

If you don't mind experimenting, you could try with a larger value for
MAX_DATA in sanei/sanei_scsi.c but I have absolutely no idea what will
happen.  In the best case things will "work", in the worst your
scanner breaks.

Hope this helps,

--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/