[sane-devel] Question regarding sane & libusb

René Kjellerup rene at keenan.dk
Tue Oct 3 08:44:18 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, m. allan noah wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Oct 2006, René Kjellerup wrote:
>

> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > The documentation on this seems to be purely reference for
> > programmers who have used them before...
> >
> > How do one read/write to a usb device (scanner)?
> > Will it return data on invalid commands, and where?
> > And so on...
>
> depends on the device. some will just lock hard and require a power cycle.

The device is the Canon CanoScan 4200F

> your best bet is to get it installed on windows with its native
> driver,

Yeah, but the only problem is, vmware doesn't support usb2.0, and the
scanner doesn't have good usb1.1 support ( although they say so ), the
windows platform I have is an XP64, and don't want the hassle of dual
booting with 2 Windows Systems, since there are no 64-bit drivers :( (and
Canon is a pain in the back- side when it comes to updating there drivers,
or even making uniform drivers)

> and then use benoit's sniffusb to get a log of some simple operations.
> you will likely want to clean up those logs for readability, there are
> quite a few progs for that running around. i personally like
> 'spike4.pl' :)
>

> > Could I see a general piece of code that I could use as a template?
>
> generally you want to write a small libusb prog that is outside of
> sane first. there are a couple examples that come with libusb. let us
> know some more about the device, and we can give better pointers...

Thanks, I've just started writing one (reading usb.h was a bit more helpfull
than libusb's documentation on its own though.)

My Thanks
René Kjellerup