[sane-devel] CanoScan LiDE 25 found by sane-find-scanner but not scanimage

Warren Post warren at copaninvest.com
Sun Sep 3 20:08:52 UTC 2006

On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 22:13:49 +0200 "Wolfram Heider"
<wolframheider at web.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 00:40:42 +0200, Warren Post
> <warren at copaninvest.com> wrote:

[snip]
> > 3. Modified /etc/sane.d/plustek.conf per man sane-plustek.
> > Specifically, I added the line "[usb] 0x04a9 0x2220". I have tried
> > both "device auto" and not having a device line.
>
> the entry should read "device /dev/usbscanner"

Thanks, Wolfram. Just tried that; no change -- probably because I have
no file /dev/usbscanner. But isn't /dev/usbscanner only to access a USB
scanner via a module? I am using libusb, and if I am reading the docs
right libusb users should not have any scanner modules loaded. A
comment in plustek.conf says:

# ...if... you use libusb, simply set vendor- and product-ID
# [usb] 0x07B3 0x0017
# device auto

If I am wrong I can certainly create /dev/usbscanner as a symlink, but
if so, what should I point it to?

> I'm not familiar with Mandriva. If there exists a usb.usermap in
> /etc/hotplug it should be modified due to
> /usr/share/doc/packages/sane/sane-backends/plustek/Plustek-USB.txt.

There is no file named usb.usermap on my system anywhere,
and /etc/hotplug contains only blacklist and device-specific usermap
files. So I created one, adding the line specified by
Plustek-USB.txt. Ditto /etc/hotplug/usb/usbscanner. Same result,
however.

Plustek-USB.txt also instructs me to append the line "scanner"
to /etc/hotplug/blacklist, but that file is data, not text:

[warren at gerencia ~]$ file /etc/hotplug/blacklist
/etc/hotplug/blacklist: data

...so I am not sure how to edit it. With hexedit, perhaps?

> Last not least the plustek-entry in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf should be
> uncommented.

Done.

> Additionally you should make sure that the scanner.o module isn't
> loaded...

Done: "lsmod | grep scanner" comes up empty.

> ...and that possible remnants of the prior sane-installation
> are removed completely.

This should have been done by rpm when I upgraded from
sane-backends-1.0.16 to 1.0.17. However, "locate 1.0.16"
immediately after running updatedb turns up suspicious
files: /usr/lib/sane/libsane-backend_name.so.1.0.16, one for each
backend, and /usr/lib/libsane.so.1.0.16. There are no corresponding
1.0.17 files. The file lists for the rpms for both versions show no
such files, so I'm not sure where they came from.

I have to wonder if this is related to what I noted in my original
post, which is that sane-plustek checks for other Canon scanners (all
those supported by 1.0.16, I have since confirmed) but not my scanner
(support for which was added in 1.0.17).

Thanks again...
--
Warren Post
Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras