[sane-devel] Epson 2450 found by sane-find-scanner but not by scanimage

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Sep 25 00:35:50 UTC 2006

"Tom Mitchell" <trmitchell at hotmail.co.uk> writes:

> Hi Olaf,
> Sorry for the delay in replying I appreciate your help.
>
> 1)I have put all files back to their originals.
>
> 2)You asked
>
> "Do you have the epson backend disabled in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf?  I'd
> expect to see `epson:libusb:004:005' listed in the scanimage -L output
> as well."
>
> I didnt have the backend disabled. Both lines do not have an # in
> front of them.

Weird that you don't see epson:libusb:004:005 then.

> 3) I have tried to run  as user and got permission denied.

# I'm not familiar with your distribution, so I don't know how its
# *libsane.rules looks and how it handles hotplugging of scanners.

Hmm, is user part of the appropriate group (scanner, by default)?

> 4) As root the output of SANE_DEBUG_EPKOWA=127 scanimage > image.pnm
> 2> epkowa.log
>
> is
>
> [snip]> [epkowa] EPKOWA SANE Backend 2.1.0 - 2006-05-22
> [epkowa] attach(, 3)
> [epkowa] attach: opening
> [epkowa] attach_one_usb(libusb:004:004)
> [epkowa] EPKOWA SANE Backend 2.1.0 - 2006-05-22
> [epkowa] attach(libusb:004:004, 3)
> [epkowa] attach: opening libusb:004:004
> [epkowa] Found valid EPSON scanner: 0x4b8/0x112 (vendorID/productID)
> [epkowa] reset()
> [epkowa] send buf, size = 2
> [epkowa] buf[0] 1b .
> [epkowa] buf[1] 40 @
> [epkowa] receive buf, expected = 1, got = 0

Ouch!  The device is not talking back to you.  You should get a one
byte reply here, either 0x06 (ACK) or 0x15 (NAK).

> [snip]

Tom, can you repeat the scanimage command to get the USB debugging
info?  Like so:

  SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_USB=127 scanimage > image.pnm 2> epkowa-usb.log

Hope this helps,

--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/