[sane-devel] Invalid argument (status 4) when calling sane_start

Peter Gebauer petgeb at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Dec 15 12:13:05 UTC 2007

Hello!

When I call sane_start() it returns SANE_STATUS_INVAL (4). This happens both
when I use the API and the scanimage binary.

scanimage -L reveals:
device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 virtual device

I don't have anything else to test with, but I pressume grabbing an image
from a v4l device works since SANE does find it as a device to begin with.
Or is there some flag I can check to see whether or not this device is
actualy supported by SANE?

This is what the documentation says
 "The scan cannot be started with the current set of options. The frontend
should reload the option descriptors, as if SANE_INFO_RELOAD_OPTIONS had
been returned from a call to sane_control_option(), since the device's
capabilities may have changed."

I have made no changes to the options and the option descriptor was loaded
just moments before. Also, the options are totally irrelevant to me, just
grab the image already! How can I solve this problem?

/Peter