[sane-devel] [announce] coolscan3 release

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 14:24:03 UTC 2007

On 12/17/07, Alessandro Zummo <azummo-lists at towertech.it> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 08:58:01 -0500
> "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >  from what I've understood we'd need RGBI, GRAYI and RIGIBI.
> >
> > there are also at least three fax compression variants, as well as a
> > text variant for hardware patch-code support. i've got a HUGE scanner
> > in my dining room ATM that needs these. Actually, the bell and howell
> > backend already supports all these, with a #ifndef.
>
>  My dining room is free for your use :-D
>
>  I would output something like XML for every kind of barcode/patchcode/text
>  output. this way the frontend will work even for new data types.
>
>  something like
>
>  <barcode x=".." y="..." type="...">
>         <code>....</code>
>  </barcode>

i am not personally prepared to prescribe the use of xml to any
backend author. but i do think that makes more sense than plain text.
there has also been a suggestion in the past of sending scanner
EXIF-type data, which would also work well in xml, but i'm no expert
on either of those.

> >  If there's space,
> > >  i' love to have a way to ask the backend for scanner make/model. :)
> >
> > that is already in the SANE_Device struct?
>
>  Yes, but it is not accessible after sane_open, if I have understood correctly?
>  only when you ask the driver the list of devices.

yes- you would have to cache the results from the device list. i
suppose that the exif-type data could handle that.

> > >  if we can make RGBI = 0x10 I will avoid to rewrite the frontend :)
> > >

> > if you include sane.h you wont have to change it later.
>
>  sure I will, but the binary is the wild, so I was trying to avoid
>  some work ;)

well, if we really add: IR, RGBI, GRAYI, RIGIBI, TEXT, XML, G31D,
G32D, and G42D,
we are getting close to your 0x10 :)

allan