[sane-devel] [announce] coolscan3 release

Alessandro Zummo azummo-lists at towertech.it
Mon Dec 17 15:25:07 UTC 2007

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:24:03 -0500
"m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >  I would output something like XML for every kind of barcode/patchcode/text
> >  output. this way the frontend will work even for new data types.
> >
> >  something like
> >
> >  <barcode x=".." y="..." type="...">
> >         <code>....</code>
> >  </barcode>
> >

> i am not personally prepared to prescribe the use of xml to any
> backend author. but i do think that makes more sense than plain text.
> there has also been a suggestion in the past of sending scanner
> EXIF-type data, which would also work well in xml, but i'm no expert
> on either of those.

 I worked a bit on both of them. It has the advantage of being
 non-breaking as long as the xml syntax is respected. a frontend
 could always dump it to a file without parsing it.

 plus, with five or so lines of perl you can decode and extract whatever
 data you want.

> >  Yes, but it is not accessible after sane_open, if I have understood correctly?
> >  only when you ask the driver the list of devices.
> >

> yes- you would have to cache the results from the device list. i
> suppose that the exif-type data could handle that.

 I suppose it too. Are we talking about real exif or something that
 holds the same data as exif? because real exif can be very painful.

> >  sure I will, but the binary is the wild, so I was trying to avoid
> >  some work ;)
> >

> well, if we really add: IR, RGBI, GRAYI, RIGIBI, TEXT, XML, G31D,
> G32D, and G42D,
> we are getting close to your 0x10 :)

 :-D

--