[sane-devel] The future of the SANE-Standard

Oliver Rauch Oliver.Rauch at rauch-domain.de
Fri Dec 21 21:12:56 UTC 2007

Am Freitag, den 21.12.2007, 20:53 +0100 schrieb Alessandro Zummo:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:45:25 -0500
> "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > if i understand your list, there is a 4th option- add and _inform_ by
> > SONAME/version# change.
> >
> > Bumping the SONAME seems to be the only way to make the outside world
> > aware that they should inspect their code for compatibility, but even
> > if they do not, it will still work, since these new frame types will
> > not be the default case. It also prevents us from having to do any
> > modifications to the dozens of existing backends that wont have the
> > new frame types or options. (unlike b and c).
>

>  well, yes, that works too. I the hope that the outside world
>  will care :)

In the moment I would bet on the outside world.
At least the active part of the inside world does not seem to care ;)

The proposals/discussions I read in the last hours are worse than
everything that I expected when I predicted the chaos.
"Only adding some new frame types" and now discussing to add new
api functions. And letting the sane standard at version 1.x. while
changing the api.

Did anyone of you read the SANE-standard 1.0?
Did anyone of you ever created a standard?

I don`t know what I can say or do.
My hope is that someone who knows what he does gets active and
directs this disaster into the right way... or stopps all this.

In the meanwhile I will look for a new project or hobby....
... this one seems to die. (But I still pray for it).

Best regards
Oliver