[sane-devel] The future of the SANE-Standard

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Fri Dec 21 21:55:01 UTC 2007

Oliver Rauch <Oliver.Rauch at rauch-domain.de> wrote:

Hi,

> My hope is that someone who knows what he does gets active and
> directs this disaster into the right way... or stopps all this.

Nothing has been committed to CVS yet, no code has even been written,
and 1.0.19 will go first. So there's still a comfortable margin.

That said, bumping the soname is going to be a big deal and I'm not in
favor of doing that unless there's a good reason to do so.

The frame types addition can be done without changing the API. Adding
new functions to the API can be done without bumping the soname (only
a minor version increment, major stays at 1, so soname remains
libsane.so.1).

Anything else, you'd better have a GOOD reason for changing the API
(or ABI, be careful) and bumping the soname. Because it's sure going
to be a mess. If it's for convergence to SANE2, then sure, go for
it. But not now.

Bottom line: bumping the soname is not warranted for the frame types
addition. Going to 1.1.x is enough.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>