[sane-devel] failing make sane-backends-1.0.18; sanei_scsi question

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard at gjaeger.de
Wed Jan 17 08:51:06 CET 2007

On Wednesday 17 January 2007 00:21, abel deuring wrote:
[SNIPSNAP]
> Seeing your mail, I too tried to compile Sane under Suse 10.2 -- and
> got the same error message. HZ should be defined somewhere in the
> "kernel-related" header files, and theoretically the right header
> file should be included in sg.h , because HZ is used there too.
>
> You can fix the error by adding the line
>
> #include <linux/compiler.h>
>
> to sanei/sanei_scsi.c, near line 89:
>
> #if defined (HAVE_SCSI_SG_H)
> # define USE LINUX_INTERFACE
> #include <linux/compiler.h>
> # include <scsi/sg.h>
> #elif defined (HAVE__USR_SRC_LINUX_INCLUDE_SCSI_SG_H)
> # define USE LINUX_INTERFACE
> #include <linux/compiler.h>
> # include "/usr/src/linux/include/scsi/sg.h"
>
> (better add the line two times, as shown: I don't know, which
> variant will be used on your system).
>
> Out of curiosity, I compiled sane-backends 1.0.18 on Ubuntu 6.10 --
> no problems there.
>
> Suse 10.2 uses a slightly newer kernel version (2.6.18) than Ubuntu
> 6.10 (2.6.17). Does anybody know, if "something serious" changed in
> the "kernel related" header files between these versions? Or is this
> a problem specific for Suse 10.2?

Hmmm, while checking the kernel-headers (2.6.18 and 19) I've seen
that  linux/include/scsi/sg.h already will include linux/compiler.h

So my guess is, that the (HAVE_SCSI_SG_H) path is used and the glibc
headers have changed somehow. What's the glibc version on SuSE 10.2?
Please call /lib/libc.so.6

Anyway could you guys please try and add the compiler.h only to the
HAVE_SCSI_SG_H path?

The other warning  about the resmgr could savely be ignored and it
seems, that SuSE wants to skip this beast...

Gerhard