[sane-devel] failing make sane-backends-1.0.18; sanei_scsi question

abel deuring adeuring at gmx.net
Wed Jan 17 18:16:58 CET 2007

Gerhard Jaeger wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 January 2007 00:21, abel deuring wrote:
> [SNIPSNAP]
>> Seeing your mail, I too tried to compile Sane under Suse 10.2 -- and
>> got the same error message. HZ should be defined somewhere in the
>> "kernel-related" header files, and theoretically the right header
>> file should be included in sg.h , because HZ is used there too.
>>
>> You can fix the error by adding the line
>>
>> #include <linux/compiler.h>
>>
>> to sanei/sanei_scsi.c, near line 89:
>>
>> #if defined (HAVE_SCSI_SG_H)
>> # define USE LINUX_INTERFACE
>> #include <linux/compiler.h>
>> # include <scsi/sg.h>
>> #elif defined (HAVE__USR_SRC_LINUX_INCLUDE_SCSI_SG_H)
>> # define USE LINUX_INTERFACE
>> #include <linux/compiler.h>
>> # include "/usr/src/linux/include/scsi/sg.h"
>>
>> (better add the line two times, as shown: I don't know, which
>> variant will be used on your system).
>>
>> Out of curiosity, I compiled sane-backends 1.0.18 on Ubuntu 6.10 --
>> no problems there.
>>
>> Suse 10.2 uses a slightly newer kernel version (2.6.18) than Ubuntu
>> 6.10 (2.6.17). Does anybody know, if "something serious" changed in
>> the "kernel related" header files between these versions? Or is this
>> a problem specific for Suse 10.2?
>
> Hmmm, while checking the kernel-headers (2.6.18 and 19) I've seen
> that  linux/include/scsi/sg.h already will include linux/compiler.h

Right, the second addition of the "#include " line is nonsense. It
was obviously too late when I wrote my mail ;)

> So my guess is, that the (HAVE_SCSI_SG_H) path is used and the glibc
> headers have changed somehow. What's the glibc version on SuSE 10.2?
> Please call /lib/libc.so.6

What do you mean with "call"? Anyway, HZ is defined somewhere in the
kernel header files, and I don't think it is related to libc.

> Anyway could you guys please try and add the compiler.h only to the
> HAVE_SCSI_SG_H path?

Well, before making any "real" patch, the first thing I'd like to
know is, if we have a special Suse 10.2 bug, or if something changed
in the kernel headers...

Abel