[sane-devel] Epson Photo 4490 Scanner

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Sun Jul 8 23:52:39 UTC 2007

Claude Sutton <claudesutton at suttonmachine.com> writes:

> Well, thanks to Olaf I can now scan.

You're welcome.

> With one more small problem.
>
> I can only scan as root.

Permission problem accessing the device (as it is represented in the
file system).

IIRC, you installed iscan from source, right?  That means the regular
post-installation scripts didn't get run and you have to do that part
yourself.  Go to the directory with your iscan sources and do this:

  ./utils/make-udev-rules ./utils/hotplug/iscan.usermap

wiht root privileges.  This creates /etc/udev/rules.d/###_iscan.rules,
where the ### is the same number as used for the ###_libsane.rules
file in the same directory.  On Debian GNU/Linux that would be 025.

After you've done that re-plug the USB cable and you should be all set
to scan as a regular user.

> When I scan and save it, it saves the file with root permissions.
>
> As part of the attempt o get this going, I changed permissions to the iscan
> folder to 777 and all of the sub directories I have looked at have that
> permission.

That was not necessary.

> So where do I look to change permissions so I can save a file to my Desktop
> with a different permission?
>
> Thanks for the help thus far.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen             FLOSS Engineer -- EPSON AVASYS Corporation
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/