[sane-devel] Additional frame types in Sane 1

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 20:05:32 UTC 2007

On 6/2/07, René Rebe <rene at exactcode.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 02.06.2007, at 20:59, Étienne Bersac wrote:
>
> > So what is the conclusion of the thread ?
>
> don't now. Response stopped.
>
> For me it means I'll have a private patch, probably inside the T2 SDE:
>
>    http://www.t2-project.org/
>
> I can not and will not spend 4 years of recoding SANE just for 2 new
> (missing) frame types.
>
> We need to get free software stable, solid and feature complete - not
> ever changing.
>
> I do not see any reason to drastically redo SANE just some people
> want too, and neither the free coding slaves to do that. There are not
> many reasons why the current SANE standard should be abondone.
>
> As far as I can see gradually enhancing it is way more doable and
> reasonable and also matches the available developer resources.

i have spent some time looking at scanimage.c.  i think the
modifications required to support the new frame types will be somewhat
more extensive than i had hoped, but it can be done.

however, oliver's objections to API instability have resonated with
me, such that i am hesitant to commit this to sane cvs without a
little more discussion. yes, it could remain a private patch, but i
would like our work to reach the widest audience possible.

i wonder if the best solution is a 'middle road' of starting iterative
development of sane2 based on current sane1. I know folks are hesitant
to begin without the draft spec completed, so maybe this idea is also
a non-starter.

allan