[sane-devel] LSB DDK: Support for scanner drivers/SANE into LSB 3.2?

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 11:03:00 UTC 2007

Gerald Murray wrote:
>> René Rebe wrote:
>>> I take a look into what is necessary to get SANE into the LSB over
>>> the weekend.
>>>
>> Did you already find out something?
>>
> Hi Till,
> I took a quick look.  It looks like the lsb project wants headers
> --stripped of all comments and programmer remarks;
> the library would be empty functions, as 'basic' as possible.
>
> Possibly headers: sane.h, saneopts.h would be enough, as
> lsb tools would only test for the presence of sane, so none of
> the libraries in /usr/lib/sane/* would be tested?
> /usr/lib/libsane.so would be the basic library.
>
> Does the lsb project expect some testing code to be written?
> What tests would be needed, or expected, if any?

What we need is two interfaces of SANE, once the frontend/library
interface, so that one can have scanning functionality in LSB-packaged
applications, and second, the library/backend interface to allow
distribution-independent LSB-based scanner driver packages.

The LSB expects also testing code. Usually a program which exercises all
the interfaces which are selected as requirement for the LSB (ideally,
one should require all interfaces of the library).

A test program could look like this:

http://svn.easysw.com/public/cups/trunk/cups/testcups.c

This is for CUPS but one could do a similar thing for SANE. The test
program should not depend on a particular scanner model. One could
auto-detect a scanner and if none is there use the test backend.

The individual drivers in /usr/lib/sane/ do not need to be tested.
Important are only the interfaces for new drivers and for applications
with scanning functionality.

    Till