[sane-devel] Flatbed scanner that can scan to the edge?

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Thu Mar 1 00:34:56 CET 2007

"Felix E. Klee" <felix.klee at inka.de> writes:

> At Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:20:31 +0100,
> Levente Novák wrote:
>> He wants to tell that you can not scan anything closer than about 5 mm
>> to the edge of the glass with an Epson 3490 Photo (which I own also).
>
> In fact, it's not the only Epson scanner with the problem.  IIRC, the
> V350 also has the problem.  Yesterday, I called Epson.  They will
> provide me with a list of scanners that can scan to the edge.  I'm
> really curious.

If I understand you correctly, you are looking for a scanner that will
scan as indicated below:

   +--+-----+
   |  |     |
   |  | doc |
   |  |     |
   |  +-----+
   | glass  |
   +--------+

looking at it from the user point of view.  All you have to do is put
the document in the top right corner.  The box surrounding the glass
plate is slightly elevated so it's easy to align it with the glass
plate.

To the best of my knowledge, all EPSON scanners supported by the epson
backend scan from the edge of the glass plate.  Same for the epkowa
backend provided the scanner does NOT require a plug-in.  For anything
not listed in

  http://sane.alioth.debian.org/lists/sane-backends-external.html#S-EPKOWA

all bets are off.

Hope this helps and sorry for not chiming in earlier,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                          EPSON AVASYS Corporation, SE1
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/