[sane-devel] Flatbed scanner that can scan to the edge?

Felix E. Klee felix.klee at inka.de
Thu Mar 1 12:08:40 CET 2007

At Thu, 01 Mar 2007 08:34:56 +0900,
Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> If I understand you correctly, you are looking for a scanner that will
> scan as indicated below:
>
>    +--+-----+
>    |  |     |
>    |  | doc |
>    |  |     |
>    |  +-----+
>    | glass  |
>    +--------+

Yes, for example.  Also, I tried putting the document in the upper left,
the lower left, and the lower right corner.  In all cases, the document
is trimmed, because the scanner is not scanning to the edge.  This is in
accordance with the documentation and with what EPSON technical support
told me.

> looking at it from the user point of view.  All you have to do is put
> the document in the top right corner.  The box surrounding the glass
> plate is slightly elevated so it's easy to align it with the glass
> plate.

That's the idea.  But unfortunately, it doesn't work - the document gets
cropped.

> To the best of my knowledge, all EPSON scanners supported by the epson
> backend scan from the edge of the glass plate.

Really? Then that would be an improvement as compared to the Windows
driver.  My scanner is well supported by the Epson backend.  In fact
that was the reason for me to buy it.

Perhaps you have access to an Epson Perfection 3490 Photo or a scanner
from the same series (it's the series that just went out of production)?
It would be great if you could try scanning to the edge and let us know
your experiences.  I doubt that it works.

--
Felix E. Klee