[sane-devel] Flatbed scanner that can scan to the edge?

Felix E. Klee felix.klee at inka.de
Fri Mar 2 14:01:30 CET 2007

At Fri, 02 Mar 2007 08:39:55 +0900,
Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> > That's the idea.  But unfortunately, it doesn't work - the document
> > gets cropped.
> >
> >> To the best of my knowledge, all EPSON scanners supported by the
> >> epson backend scan from the edge of the glass plate.
>
> You conveniently snipped this:
>
>  |  Same for the epkowa backend provided the scanner does NOT require
>  |  a plug-in.

I don't use the Epkowa backend, that's why I snipped it.  I use the
snapscan backend, and - without much thinking - I assumed that you count
this backed as an EPSON backend (though I know that Snapscan scanners
used to be sold by Agfa not EPSON).

> I had access to such a scanner when adding support for it to the
> epkowa backend.  And IIRC the 3490 needs to have the document centered
> horizontally.

No, the problem exists in all directions.  I.e. the document needs to be
more or less centered both vertically and horizontally.

According to EPSON telephone support in Germany, the lowest priced EPSON
scanner that can scan to the edge is the V700.  However, this scanner is
overkill for my usage scenario.  While I want to make good quality scans
of colored documents, I need only a resolution of up to around 600 dpi,
and I rarely scan photos.  If I ever want to have my collection of
photos and films digitized, then I'd probably consult a service provider
and not do it myself.

BTW, when doing test scans I also found out that the scanned area is not
evenly lit.  This adds to the disappointment with the scanner.  Perhaps
I'm expecting too much from a 100 EUR scanner.

--
Felix E. Klee