[sane-devel] Can't use Scanjet 3200c

Stéphane VOLTZ stef.dev at free.fr
Wed Mar 7 06:44:04 CET 2007

Le mercredi 7 mars 2007, Mauricio Fernandez a écrit :
> Hi, I've downloaded the frontend, the backends, aswell as xsane.
> The problem is, that when I do a sane-find-scanner it doesn't find my
> scanner.
> I've read that I have to use the umax_pp command in order to install this
> scanner but when I do umax_pp, it says to me umax_pp: command not found.
> What is what I have to do for being able to use it? So far, I'm completely
> lost :-(
>
> Thank you very much!

	Hello,

	by default the backend for HP3200C isn't activated, so it won't be detected
unless you activate it. Some linux distribution have their on purpose tool
for doing such, but you can do it by hand by editing the dll.conf file which
is usually located in /etc/sane.d or /usr/etc/sane.d . Search for a line

#umax_pp

and remove the # to turn it into:

umax_pp

	Then run scanimage -L again. You should also get sure that the ppddev device
is working, or the backend won't work.

	The umax_pp tool is included in the full source archive you can download and
ccompile. Including it or not in the linux distribution you use is a design
choice.

Regards,
	Stef