[sane-devel] Can't use Scanjet 3200c

Stéphane VOLTZ stef.dev at free.fr
Wed Mar 7 07:26:45 CET 2007

> Hi Stef,
>
> I removed the # from the dll.conf file, and from the dll.conf.rpmsave file
> and when I do scanimage -L it says:
>
> [umax_pp_low] sanei_umax_pp_InitPort cannot use direct hardware access
> [umax_pp_low] if not compiled with --enable-parport-directio
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
>
> What do I have to do?
>
> Thank you for helping

	It seems the ppdev character device isn't working, or the backend is
configured to use direct hardware access, which isn't compiled in.
	Check that th ppdev kernel module is loaded and that your user account has
rights to access the /dev/parport0 device. Then edit umax_pp.conf (in the
same directory than dll.conf) and change the line:

port some-value

to:

port /dev/parport0

	Things should get better.