[sane-devel] Additional frame types in Sane 1

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Tue May 29 15:34:06 UTC 2007

On Monday 28 May 2007 23:14:22 you wrote:
> Am Montag, den 28.05.2007, 18:35 +0200 schrieb René Rebe:
>

> > Sane already has so many options that are unsupported by
> > most frontends, yet another frametype will not matter much
> > at all.
>
> Can you give one good example?

All the option names differ from backend to backend already, making
live for a frontend unnecessarily hard.

> > If I feel like setting a bitdepth of 32 or 64 bits all frontends
> > I saw so far will not handle this as well.
>
> This is physically no-sense. Already real 16 bits/sample are only
> possible with very low temperature (e.g. fluid nitrogen cooling)
> and I have never seen such a scanner.

Still it is allowed in current SANE and not all frontends will deal
with it gracefully.

> > > Finish the SANE2 standard. That solves all problems.
> >
> > I stopped listening to the SANE 2 bla bla like 5 years ago when
> > it became clear to me that the people talking about just want to
> > talk and not code.
>
> But this is no reason to make SANE-1 unusable by creating incompatible
> sane1 versions.
>
> When you think sane2 takes too long then make the sane2 proposal to a
> sane3 proposal and create a reduced sane2 proposal. But do not make
> sane1 corrupt.

Adding new frametypes does not corrupt anything. Securely and
sanely written frontends will just say "unsupported frame", and the
user can still update to a new frontend that supports jpeg frames.

Also this will continue to just work, as the backends can easily default
to the known RGB frames, until the user hits the JPEG UI element.

Btw. We are already implementing this anyway, as companies
ask for this. It is just a question to get this into vanilla SANE for
all and starting the overdue evolution of SANE, or having some
"we use the GPL SANE and here are our enhancements to
download".

Btw. Can you please be so kind and keep me CC'ed as I can not
monitor all the noisy folder all day while doing work, thanks.

Yours,