[sane-devel] Additional frame types in Sane 1

Oliver Rauch Oliver.Rauch at Rauch-Domain.DE
Tue May 29 16:17:24 UTC 2007

Am Dienstag, den 29.05.2007, 17:34 +0200 schrieb René Rebe:
> On Monday 28 May 2007 23:14:22 you wrote:
> > Am Montag, den 28.05.2007, 18:35 +0200 schrieb René Rebe:
> >

> > > Sane already has so many options that are unsupported by
> > > most frontends, yet another frametype will not matter much
> > > at all.
> >
> > Can you give one good example?
>
> All the option names differ from backend to backend already, making
> live for a frontend unnecessarily hard.

And what options are unsupported by frontends?

> > > If I feel like setting a bitdepth of 32 or 64 bits all frontends
> > > I saw so far will not handle this as well.
> >
> > This is physically no-sense. Already real 16 bits/sample are only
> > possible with very low temperature (e.g. fluid nitrogen cooling)
> > and I have never seen such a scanner.
>
> Still it is allowed in current SANE and not all frontends will deal
> with it gracefully.

But it still makes no sense and I don`t want to waste my time to discuss
thinks that don`t make sense. So please let`s stop to discuss about
that.

> > > I stopped listening to the SANE 2 bla bla like 5 years ago when
> > > it became clear to me that the people talking about just want to
> > > talk and not code.
> >
> > But this is no reason to make SANE-1 unusable by creating incompatible
> > sane1 versions.
> >
> > When you think sane2 takes too long then make the sane2 proposal to a
> > sane3 proposal and create a reduced sane2 proposal. But do not make
> > sane1 corrupt.
>
> Adding new frametypes does not corrupt anything. Securely and
> sanely written frontends will just say "unsupported frame", and the
> user can still update to a new frontend that supports jpeg frames.
>
> Also this will continue to just work, as the backends can easily default
> to the known RGB frames, until the user hits the JPEG UI element.
>
> Btw. We are already implementing this anyway, as companies
> ask for this. It is just a question to get this into vanilla SANE for
> all and starting the overdue evolution of SANE, or having some
> "we use the GPL SANE and here are our enhancements to
> download".
>
> Btw. Can you please be so kind and keep me CC'ed as I can not
> monitor all the noisy folder all day while doing work, thanks.
>
> Yours,

Sorry to say that but when you want to discuss the future of sane
than you should read the sane-devel mailing list. When you say you don`t
read the sane-devel mailing list then I get the feeling you are not
interested in the opinion of the other users and developers.

Best regards
Oliver