[sane-devel] scanimage: sane_start: Scanner cover is open

Lars Möllendorf hermes.trismegistos at web.de
Sat Oct 20 18:31:10 UTC 2007

Hallo,

since I updated from Kubuntu 6.06 to 7.10 running an "SHARP JX330 SCSI
flatbed scanner" with scanimage produces this error:

$ scanimage --device-name='sharp:/dev/sg0' --source='Flatbed'>out.pnm
scanimage: sane_start: Scanner cover is open

Indeed the scanner cover is open, because I try to scan a book, but this
used to be no problem.

If I scan with xscanimage, it finally works with open cover if I scan
with closed cover first. Here the output of
SANE_DEBUG_XSCANIMAGE=4 xscanimage 2>debug.log

[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of xscanimage to 4.
[xscanimage] main
[xscanimage] xscanimage (version: 1.0.14, package: sane-frontends) starting
[xscanimage] interface
[sanei_debug] Setting debug level of xscanimage to 4.
[xscanimage] init
[xscanimage] init: finished
[xscanimage] choose_device
[xscanimage] choose_device: finished
[xscanimage] interface: now running gtk_main ()
[xscanimage] device_dialog
[xscanimage] pref_xscanimage_restore
[xscanimage] pref_xscanimage_restore: finished
[xscanimage] files_build_menu
[xscanimage] files_build_menu: finished
[xscanimage] pref_build_menu
[xscanimage] pref_build_menu: finished
[xscanimage] update_param
[xscanimage] update_param: finished
[xscanimage] pref_device_restore
[xscanimage] update_param
[xscanimage] update_param: finished
[xscanimage] pref_device_restore: finished
[xscanimage] device_dialog: finished
[xscanimage] update_param
[xscanimage] update_param: finished
[xscanimage] scan_dialog
[xscanimage] scan_start                        #first dummy scan with
closed cover
[xscanimage] get_resolution
[xscanimage] input_available
[xscanimage] scan_done
[xscanimage] scan_done: finished
[xscanimage] scan_start: finished
[xscanimage] scan_dialog: finished
[xscanimage] scan_dialog
[xscanimage] scan_start                        #second scan, now with
cover open
[xscanimage] get_resolution
[xscanimage] input_available
[xscanimage] scan_done
[xscanimage] scan_done: finished
[xscanimage] scan_start: finished
[xscanimage] scan_dialog: finished
[xscanimage] quit_xscanimage
[xscanimage] pref_xscanimage_save
[xscanimage] pref_xscanimage_save: finished
[xscanimage] quit_xscanimage: exiting

Without the dummy scan with cover closed:
[xscanimage] scan_start
[xscanimage] get_resolution
[xscanimage] scan_dialog: finished      #No scanning but error message
as described above

Unfortunately this workaround doesn't work with gscan2pdf. I also tried
to find a hardware workaround but I don't know
how the scanner knows it is open. I thought there would be a little
stylus or switch that has to be pressed, but the one I found doesn't
work. I have no
manual or technical information about the scanner.

Thanks,
Lars

Some sysinfo:

scanimage -L
device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname BT848A video ( *** UNKNOWN/GENE
virtual device
device `sharp:/dev/sg0' is a SHARP JX330 SCSI flatbed scanner

uname -r
2.6.22-14-generic

System:
Kubuntu 7.10 with recent updates.