[sane-devel] scanimage: sane_start: Scanner cover is open

abel deuring adeuring at gmx.net
Mon Oct 22 12:52:55 UTC 2007

Hi Lars,

On 20.10.2007 20:31, Lars Möllendorf wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> since I updated from Kubuntu 6.06 to 7.10 running an "SHARP JX330 SCSI
> flatbed scanner" with scanimage produces this error:
>
> $ scanimage --device-name='sharp:/dev/sg0' --source='Flatbed'>out.pnm
> scanimage: sane_start: Scanner cover is open
>
> Indeed the scanner cover is open, because I try to scan a book, but this
> used to be no problem.

Do you have an ADF or a transparency unit installed? At least the ADF is
probably able to detect if the cover is open. But you are right that an
ADF status information should not affect flatbed scans.

> If I scan with xscanimage, it finally works with open cover if I scan
> with closed cover first. Here the output of
> SANE_DEBUG_XSCANIMAGE=4 xscanimage 2>debug.log
>
> [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of xscanimage to 4.
> [xscanimage] main
> [xscanimage] xscanimage (version: 1.0.14, package: sane-frontends) starting
> [xscanimage] interface
> [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of xscanimage to 4.

Could you please make similar tests with SANE_DEBUG_SHARP=255 ?

> Unfortunately this workaround doesn't work with gscan2pdf. I also tried
> to find a hardware workaround but I don't know
> how the scanner knows it is open. I thought there would be a little
> stylus or switch that has to be pressed, but the one I found doesn't
> work. I have no
> manual or technical information about the scanner.

I have the technical docs for this scanner, but I am at present moving
into a new flat and the docs are buried in some transport box :( So
apologies in advance if can't fix your problem very quickly...

Abel