[sane-devel] Xsane through ssh tunnel to saned -- how to ?

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 12:00:09 UTC 2008

On 4/10/08, kytrix me <kytrix at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I would like to access to my saned server through ssh tunnel via internet.
>
>  with:
>  ssh user at home-ip -L 6566:*:6566
>
>  with upper command Xsane is able to detect my scanner through the ssh
> tunnel, but is not able to scan (preview or final)
>  this is because saned or xsane use other randoms ports overs 1024 for data
> transfert (like ftp I guess).
>
>  there is a way to configure saned or Xsane to use a specifig range port ?
> I can't redirect thousands of ports with ssh tunnels (need to write them
> manualy...)
>
>  .. I try to debug with saned -d255
>  and i see that data ports are random ..

to quote man page for saned (which i think is still current):

RESTRICTIONS
       In addition to the control connection (port 6566)  saned  also  uses  a
       data  connection.  The port of this socket is selected by the operating
       system and can't be specified by the user  currently.  This  may  be  a
       problem  if  the connection must go through a firewall (packet filter).
       If you must use a packet filter, make sure that all ports  >  1024  are
       open on the server for connections from the client.

you might try using OpenVPN or some other solution that makes ranges easier.

allan