[sane-devel] incompatible iscan-2.11.0

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Thu Apr 24 07:23:47 UTC 2008

Julien BLACHE <jb at jblache.org> writes:

> Johannes Meixner <jsmeix at suse.de> wrote:
>
>> But again it is only a
>> "proprietary model" -> "shit happens" -> "go to Epson Avasys"
>> issue.
>
> Unfortunately sooner or later it'll land in my mailbox :|
>
>> I wonder how Epson Avasys supports this case.
>
> They don't is my guess. See how the download form gives you one
> version or the other is how they handle it.

For the time being, yes, that is how my employer "supports" this.  I
really hope we can get rid of this ugly situation quickly and provide
updated plugins that work with iscan-2.11.0 and later for all models.

Now, if I were a hardware manufacturer, I might be (very?) tempted to
drop support for some older models.  Especially those that are also
supported by alternative backends ...

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                   FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/