[sane-devel] incompatible iscan-2.11.0

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Thu Apr 24 07:26:54 UTC 2008

Julien BLACHE <jb at jblache.org> writes:

> "m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>>> I do have more than a few users who rely on the proprietary crap for
>>>  whatever good or bad reason. That's why I provided epkowa in the first
>>>  place.
>>
>> you ship the free parts so that debian users have an easy way to
>> discard their freedom with proprietary code? frankly, i am a little
>> shocked....

Be shocked more, libsane-extras is DFSG-free!

It just like firefox supporting Adobe's non-free flash plugin.  No
64bit version over at Adobe there either :-(

> Well, without the non-free bits it provides better support for some
> scanner, and supports devices no other backend supports :)

All devices not supported by other backends require a non-free plugin.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                   FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
FSF Associate Member #1962           sign up at http://member.fsf.org/