[sane-devel] How do I scan as a normal user?

Marc Shapiro mshapiro_42 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 08:35:44 UTC 2008

I recently purchased an EPSON CX7400 All-In-One and it prints and copies
great.  Scanning has been a problem.  I am running Debian Etch and have
sane and xsane installed.  Until this evening I could not get sane to
recognize that I had a scanner installed at all.  I'm not sure what
changed that, but it now recognizes the scanner if I run scanimage, or
xscanimage as root, but NOT if I run as a normal user.  Running xsane as
root gives me warnings that this is not a good idea.  I would much
rather run as a normal user.  I have added scanner0 to /dev/.static/dev
(that is probably what made it start to work at all) and I have changed
its ownership to root:scanner with permissions of 664.  I am in the
scanner group, so I expected to be able to use it as non-root.  Do I
need to reboot for this to take effect.  What else do I need to do to
run xscanimage as non-root?

All help will be appreciated.

--
Marc Shapiro