[sane-devel] SANE protocol over USB as new USB scanner device class?

Paul Wise pabs3 at bonedaddy.net
Sun Dec 28 03:10:11 UTC 2008

Hi all,

[Please CC me in all replies]

I've been thinking it would be cool if the SANE project didn't have to
write new scanner drivers for each and every new USB scanner that comes
out.

The way to do this would be to define some USB protocol and have it
standardised by the USB Implementers Forum, then use that to influence
the OEM scanner manufacturers to implement it on new scanners.

I would propose that the SANE network protocol be ported to USB (so that
it doesn't require TCP/IP - correct me if it already doesn't require
TCP/IP) and proposed as a new USB scanner device class at the USB
Implementers Forum.

What do people think about this idea?

Are there any people from the USB Implementers Forum here?

Could this idea be extended to scanners using non-USB transports?
Obviously for WiFi, Ethernet or other TCP/IP networks the existing SANE
protocol could presumably be used.

--
bye,
pabs