[sane-devel] "first light" with CanoScan LiDE 600F

Jürgen Ernst jrernst at gmx.de
Fri Jan 11 05:39:25 UTC 2008

Hi!

I have to report a first success with a CanoScan LiDE 600F.
(or "first light" as astronomers like to say when they got the first
picture from a new telescope :-)

I wrote a perl script to access the scanner via Device::USB.
After formatting the log (I made with benoit's usbsnoopy) I replayed the
data to the scanner and suddenly it moved a few times forth and back,
then turned on the lights an moved about 1 inch forward.

While figuring out what is going on I got some weird error codes from
libusb after writing data to endpoint 0x03. It was error code -ENOENT
(-2) "No such file or directory". First I thought it's a problem with
permissions but I ran the script as root so there couldn't be a problem
with permissions and mod 0644 is okay.

Then I stepped further and if the error code was -2 then I simply
ignored it and tried a bulk_read on endpoint 0x83 as seen in the log.
And what did you think what happened? It nevertheless returned data!
Maybe this is a bug in libusb or a trick from canon? I don't know.
However a bulk_read on endpoint 0x83 returned the same bytes as seen in
the log.

--
Ciao
Jürgen

UNIX&BSD's, are what every OS should aspire to be!
Windows, are an opening in an otherwise solid and opaque surface through
which light and, sometimes, even air can pass through. Nothing more.