[sane-devel] RS232 Scanner

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 12:57:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 8:13 AM, Dan Scott <danieljamesscott at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2008/7/30 m. allan noah <kitno455 at gmail.com>:
>>>  So I was hoping that I would be able to use sane to communicate with
>>>  the scanner and work out what is happening.
>>
>> backwards. you have to work out what is happening, _before_ you write
>> the sane driver :)
>
> Not quite. I was hoping that the scanner would already work with sane.
> :) at least partially. Then I could get the basic protocol from the
> code.

there have been a couple discussions on this list in the past few
years from folks who were writing sane backends for handheld scanners,
but we never saw any code. i suppose you could try to comb the
archives and email them.

>> do you have windows drivers for the image scanning part? if so, i
>> would use a usb-serial converter and benoit's usb sniffer to get a
>> log, and see if you can extract the image data.
>
> No, unfortunately I have no documentation/driver other than this
> diagnostic application. I'm thinking I'll have to figure out the
> manufacturer and ask them for protocol documentation.

any chance there is an FCC ID on it- that is usually enough to find them.

> It's a shame there's no "standard" for serial port scanners! Would
> avoid a lot of work.

most manufactures (mistakenly) dont see your avoiding work as a selling point.

allan