[sane-devel] more actions fore sane 1.1

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Sun Mar 2 17:14:03 UTC 2008

On Sunday 02 March 2008 13:32:17 Oliver Rauch wrote:

> Am Sonntag, den 02.03.2008, 13:05 +0100 schri
> > If it is not for a gradual and compatible improvement of SANE, but
> > a significant rewrite it would make more sense to adapt an wide
> > deployed industrial standard such as TWAIN,
>
> SANE and TWAIN work on different levels.

Not really. TWAIN also has the DataSource, the backend driver, a
DataSourceManager multiplexing between the sources and the
applications, and the frontend applications. The architecture is
mostly the same. And yes, the data sources can be user interfae-
less.

Please note that I wrote a SANE backend, frontend as wel as TWAIN
data sources and a TWAIN application.

> SANE is an interface between a scanner driver and a scanning frontend.
> TWAIN is an interface between a scanning frontend and a program that
> uses or post process the image (word, photoshop).

Exactly the same is TWAIN.

> Yon can create a TWAIN2SANE tool which is compatible to both interfaces,
> such a tool already exists.

Yes, I know - especially as simillar as they are.

PS: Can you please conform to list netiquete and reply to the original
authors of a mail? I do not have the time to poll all my sorted list boxes
all the time just for users who to nod know their "reply all" button /
keybinding.

Yours,