[sane-devel] more actions fore sane 1.1

Oliver Rauch oliver.rauch at rauch-domain.de
Sun Mar 2 19:39:32 UTC 2008

Am Sonntag, den 02.03.2008, 18:14 +0100 schrieb René Rebe:

> Not really. TWAIN also has the DataSource, the backend driver, a
> DataSourceManager multiplexing between the sources and the
> applications, and the frontend applications. The architecture is
> mostly the same. And yes, the data sources can be user interfae-
> less.

This is correct, but you can not use frontend A with driver B. And AFAIK
almost all TWAIN drivers do not work with disabled user interface, at
least I got this information some years ago from the chairman of TWAIN.

So there is missing the frontend level when you disable the
userinterface in the driver.

With the existing TWAIN drivers you can not do what you can do with SANE
and what SANE is planned for:
use any frontend with any backend.

In theory you may be right that TWAIN could do what you propose, the
fact is different. And AFAIR the intention of TWAIN is the following:

APPLICATION__(TWAIN)__(DATA_SOURCE_MANAGER)__DATA_SOURCE_WITH_USERINTERFACE

the following would work but is far away from what is fact and what is
planned for TWAIN:
APPLICATION_WITH_USERINTERFACE__(TWAIN)__(DATA_SOURCE_MANAGER)__DATA_SOURCE_WITHOUT_USERINTERFACE

and this one would work but I don`t think that this is the idea of
TWAIN:
APPLICATION__(TWAIN)__(DATA_SOURCE_MANAGER)__DATA_SOURCE_AS_USERINTERFACE__(TWAIN)__(DATA_SOURCE_MANAGER)__DATA_SOURCE_WITHOUT_UI

So the TWAIN_SANE version is the most intelligent one for me:
APPLICATION__(TWAIN)__(DATA_SOURCE_MANAGER)__DATA_SOURCE_WITH_SANE_FRONTEND__SANE_BACKEND

> PS: Can you please conform to list netiquete and reply to the original
> authors of a mail? I do not have the time to poll all my sorted list boxes
> all the time just for users who to nod know their "reply all" button /
> keybinding.

When you like I will reply to _all_ for your mails now.
Several sane-devel people complain when you do this because they don`t
like it because they get the mails twice.
I also don`t like this, so please would you answer only to _the list_
not to _all_ in my case (or may be in the case of sane-devel).

Best regards
Oliver