[sane-devel] HAL scanner addon

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 18:16:37 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 2:12 PM, Julien BLACHE <jb at jblache.org> wrote:
> Étienne Bersac <bersace03 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  Hi,
>

> > SANE or HAL. All the udi-sane name code must be in SANE and the addon
>  > must be in HAL.
>
>  How does this new piece of SANE code integrate into the SANE
>  architecture?
>
>  I'm sorry, I don't see where this code lies.
>
>  I hope you do know that every SANE backend is 100% interchangeable
>  with every other SANE backend, and that what is called "libsane.so" is
>  nothing else than the DLL backend.
>
>  As such, there's no central SANE library where to put this code. It
>  means it has to be duplicated into each backend, which sucks about as
>  much it can.
>
>  I'd like more details on what you're trying to do, how you plan to do
>  it, etc. Your mails look like they've been written in a hurry, and
>  quality suffers accordingly. I also have the feeling that you're
>  trying to force that down our throats, which is a little bit
>  unpleasant.

oh- i dont think he is trying to force anything, but this much like
the LSB people. they are so used to thinking about their application,
that they forget to do a sales pitch with people outside their group.
i think we SANE devels suffer from the same problem.

sell us on the IDEA first, then lets look at the implementation.

allan