[sane-devel] [RFC] SANE 1.1.0 Remove linux kernel scanner.o support

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Fri May 9 07:16:33 UTC 2008

Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp> wrote:

Hi,

> Hmm, just having read those comments about portability and old, never
> updated systems, I find this a bit contradictory.  I'm personally all
> in favour to dump scanner.o support but what about those poor embedded
> system developers that have to get something to work on, say, RH 7.1?

Even back in those days, libusb was the preferred access method...

Given that the scanner module needs to be made aware of new USB IDs,
if somebody is stuck on a 2.6.3 kernel or earlier, they're probably
already using libusb anyway.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>