[sane-devel] [RFC] SANE 1.1.0 Remove linux kernel scanner.o support

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Fri May 9 07:26:21 UTC 2008

"m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> Julien seems to give no quarter to old Linux, but has a soft spot for
> old Unix :)

<http://www.sane-project.org/intro.html>

"...
The current source code is written for UNIX (including GNU/Linux)
..."

SANE is historically a UNIX project (note how it says "including"),
and I think it should remain that way.

Now, there's a difference between actively supporting proprietary
Unices by testing the code on them on a regular basis (something
Henning used to do before release) and actively breaking support for
those by writing Linux-only code (something Alessandro would be more
than happy to do, it seems).

I think our current practices are inbetween these 2 extremes and it
should remain that way. If something breaks for somebody on a platform
we don't test, at least they'll have a chance to fix it without having
to rewrite large chunks of code, and we can integrate the fixes.

Also note that we have active OS/2, OS X and Win32 ports, that are
pretty much guaranteed to break if we start going Linux-only, too.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>
<jb at jblache.org>                                  GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169