[sane-devel] [RFC] SANE 1.1.0 Remove linux kernel scanner.o support

Alessandro Zummo azummo-lists at towertech.it
Fri May 9 10:53:30 UTC 2008

On Fri, 09 May 2008 09:26:21 +0200
Julien BLACHE <jb at jblache.org> wrote:

> Now, there's a difference between actively supporting proprietary
> Unices by testing the code on them on a regular basis (something
> Henning used to do before release) and actively breaking support for
> those by writing Linux-only code (something Alessandro would be more
> than happy to do, it seems).

 You got me wrong. I would like to actively support every
 platform that actively supports us. Note the reciprocity.

 That means that I don't want to remove old code like
 the one in sanei scsi (18 platforms supported in 5922 lines of
 codes with a plethora of #ifdefs).

 But that also means that I do not want to, for example, avoid C99
 in my backends only because there are some platforms with a couple
 of users that are unable to compile it.

 That also means that, personally, I do not care about closed
 source things.

--

 Best regards,

 Alessandro Zummo,