[sane-devel] Patch to make XSane work with SANE 1.1

stef stef.dev at free.fr
Tue Oct 14 04:46:33 UTC 2008

Le Tuesday 14 October 2008 03:34:31 Alesh Slovak, vous avez écrit :
> > We have several choices as i see it:
> >
> > 1. Remove new status values and release sane 1.1. (do we need to
> > remove other things?)
> >
> > 2. Release this as sane 2.0.
> >
> > 3. Reopen the sane 2.0 discussion, and make more drastic changes to the
> > API.
>
> What about doing both 1 & 3 suggested above? Create a new branch for
> 2.0, back out the changes in the 1.1 branch, and release that as 1.1,
> then open up the discussion on 2.0 again.
>
> Is the issue that some people want this light status feature as quickly
> as possible? I don't think that should be worth rushing into a 2.0 release.
>
> Isn't there anything else that people might want in a 2.0 release?
> What happens when soon after 2.0 there is another incompatible change
> that is desired? You release sane 3.0? If so, then we end up with a
> whole bunch of incompatible versions of sane. If not, then we have a
> sane with none of the features that people want.
>
> --
> Alesh Slovak                    Linux Team -- AVASYS Corporation
> alesh.slovak at avasys.jp          http://avasys.jp

	Hello,

		It is out of the picture to 'back out' other people work. This work has been
discussed publicly months ago, and development happened in the open.
	If you want to keep with SANE 1.0, then use the SANE 1.0 branch that has been
planned when work began on SANE 1.1. People interested can start using it,
backporting the changes they want -provided the 1.0 standard is respected-.
There is room enough for SANE 1.0 and next SANE version to coexist.
	I hope the scope of this discussion is to sort out if we call the next
version SANE 1.1 or 2.0 with the according soname.

Regards,
	Stef