[sane-devel] blank page scanned with CanoScan LiDE25

Ralph Müller-Welt ralph at mueller-welt.net
Tue Oct 21 13:21:34 UTC 2008

Hi Y P,

As ubuntu uses udev to automaticaly setup hardware, i suggest investigating
the relevant udev-rule that setsup your scanner and add the correct
permissions.

hope it helps.

This is just an excerpt of http://www.xs4all.nl/~ljm/SANE-faq.html#82
Maybe out of date.

9.1. Is there a how-to or some general information on USB-scanners?
 See http://www.zianet.com/k5di/usb/usb-scanner.txt
9.2. How can I use a USB scanner with Linux 2.6?
 With Linux 2.4.* you could either use the kernel scanner module or libusb to
access USB scanners. In Linux 2.6.4 the kernel scanner module was removed.
Therefore with this and later kernels libusb must be used. While SANE
automatically uses libusb when the library and its header file were present
during the build of sane-backends, setting permissions will require some
attention.
 The device files used by libusb are located in /proc/bus/usb/ (e.g.
/proc/bus/usb/001/003). The exact file name can be found out by running sane-
find-scanner which would print "libusb:001:003" in this case. While setting
permissions with e.g. "chmod a+rw /proc/bus/usb/001/003" seems to work, this
change is not permanent. The permissions will be reset when the scanner is
replugged or Linux is rebooted.
 One solution to set permissions on-the-fly are the Linux hot-plug tools that
should come with any current distribution. SANE itsself comes with a hotplug
script and related documentation in the tools/hotplug/ directory. Please refer
to the README in that directory for the details. You might also wish to browse
through the documentation for the Plustek; it has quite a nice section on how
to set-up your USB access.