[sane-devel] About the hardware lsit

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 00:15:59 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 5:59 PM, A B <gentosaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
> I wanted to get me a scanner but I must say that finding a scanner
> with Linux support is not easy. The problem as I see it is most of all
> computershops not making it searchable to find "linux supported"
> hardware (and that is also something that one might discuss how that
> is defined), but also if you try to do it the other way around: find a
> scanner from the sane hardware listings. that is unfortunatly not
> easy. IMHO I'd like each scanner be dated in some way, when it is
> available on the market, perhaps? Perhaps also price (if that is
> available)? I do not know. But I do know that filtering out old stuff
> would help alot.
> This is perhaps just very web-2.0-ish, but I'd think it would be a good thing.

yes, this is a good idea. Perhaps several pieces of info could be
added: min/max resolution, bit depth, price range, regions of
availability, if the model is still currently sold, etc.
Unfortunately, we have 1500 scanners in our lists, and no volunteers
to either compile this info or produce a system to update it. You
interested?

allan