[sane-devel] Sane Release 1.1.0 ?

Nicolas Martin nicolas.martin at freesurf.fr
Wed Oct 29 18:32:51 UTC 2008

I would agree if ... we had a particular goal or specification to
reach, but not sure Sane is developed in this spirit.
Sane is in a perpetual evolution process, and is IMHO ... never
?ready, with 0 bugs?.

Newer scanner models come in, newer or upgraded backends come out, in
a continuous workflow, regularly sampled to propose updated production
packages for use.
Linux distributions will probably never propose Sane CVS versions, and
many end users will really only use what their distribution proposes.

As scanner equipments become obsolete or commercially outdated after a
while, releasing on a regular basis can give the latest Sane features
available out of the box in these distributions, and thus, to most end
users.

Other similar tools, like gimp-print/gutenprint, have a tight
releasing schedule, well suited to printer evolutions.
My advice here would be to tend, if possible, to a similar approach for Sane.
A release schedule frequency around twice a year, seems to me a good target.

Nicolas

Johannes Wiedersich <jowied at googlemail.com> a écrit :

> Hallo,
>
> On 2008-10-29 08:26, Nicolas Martin wrote:
>> My concern was not too much about the release number or name, but a
>> focus on: have we some kind of schedule or forecast for a new Sane
>> release ?
>> Some very popular Linux distribution have releases twice a year, and I
>> think this could be also a convenient rate for Sane too, to keep in sync
>> with that.
>
> Sorry for jumping in here. Some very venerable, stable and reliable
> Linux distributions release 'when ready', ie. when after some time of
> testing there are 0 critical bugs.
>
> I'd always prefer a 'ready' release without bugs to one that just is on
> schedule...
>
> Of course, that's just my 2ct.
>
>> Nicolas
>
> Johannes