[sane-devel] Epson Expression 836XL supported by epkowa backend?

ono at Safe-mail.net ono at Safe-mail.net
Mon Apr 6 19:31:30 UTC 2009

I will soon be receiving a used Epson Expression 836XL scanner.
Apparently the normal SANE backends do not support the scanner since it is not listed with those backends.
At http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-external.html it is stated that the epkowa backend supports the Epson Expression 836XL scanner.
I examined the list of supported scanners for epkowa at http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux_e/scan/DL1.do but no mention is made of the Epson Expression 836XL scanner.
I noticed that the Epson Expression 836XL scanner is mentioned in an archive message at http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2009-March/024231.html.
There appears to be some ambiguity about linux support for the Epson Expression 836XL scanner.
The only time I use linux is with a 'live CD' distribution such as Ubuntu which has xsane installed without the epkowa backend, so I do not currently plan to use the Epson Expression 836XL scanner under linux, but it would be nice to know if it was possible if I decide to install linux permanently on one of my computers.