[sane-devel] Xerox Documate 510 Backend

Julien BLACHE jb at jblache.org
Wed Apr 8 10:19:50 UTC 2009

Rene Rebe <rene at exactcode.de> wrote:

Hi,

>> Yeah for that one, but I've got other reports. Need to get back at
>> that now that you're back.
>
> That for one? You count random kernel glitches as backend issues, ...

Of course not. I may have mixed up the 7400 and 5300, so I really need
to check the reports I got again. ISTR there's something up with the
7400 too, though.

> Btw. forgot to mention in the first mail: there are about 3 flavors of
> the 5300. I got 2 and booth do work. There is another strange
> flavor that never worked and I do not have. As the product label

I know that, I also know that machines that did work before the
changes no longer worked after, so either that 3rd model magically
worked before and it broke, or it's one of the other 2 models that
broke.

>> We were talking bug tracking systems, now you're talking SCMs. Uh?
>
> I talked booth from the beginning.

Ah.

>> And with your SVN I'd worry about the entire SANE SVN going byebye
>> overnight like the avision SVN did...
>
> It's in the sane CVS, what do you complain?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we tend to have big code drops in the CVS
in one single commit and your SVN had more detailed commits. Thus we
loose history, and the bigger the change, the more painful it is.

>> I think a backend is too small to be standalone. X drivers are a bit
>> bigger than our backends I believe.
>
> Many X drivers are also tiny, mouse, keyboard avdev, but also
> stuff like old cyrix etc. drivers (or vesa for that matter).

Granted. Now how do we go about sanei if we release backends as
independent source packages?

That's one issue with releasing individual backends, and the other is
the time it'll take to maintain the build systems - it's time we don't
have.

We could also release a lot faster if more people were actually
active. It's not like it's a big deal to plan a release every 2-3
months, but there are to be enough changes and backends need to be
stable at that point.

> Given the insane situation here for some years, now - and most
> historic SANE people already being annoyed into moving elsewhere,

If by "most" you mean Oliver Rauch, then yes, but that's only one
person. Others disappeared because such is life.

> I'll start maintaining the sane avision backend as a seperate package
> in the future to save my nerves, thanks.

You complain about CVS, fine, it's going away RSN. 1.0.20 will be a
turning point, as we are discussing changes to be implemented after
that release and opening a new branch for that.

But, sure, if you only care about your pet backend, then just do
that. You're not helping anyone in doing so, but hey.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE                                   <http://www.jblache.org>
<jb at jblache.org>                                  GPG KeyID 0xF5D65169