[sane-devel] MP730 driver broken since pixma-0.12.2

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 19:55:13 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Nicolas Martin
<nicolas.martin at freesurf.fr> wrote:
> Maybe there's some relation with the endpoint, but remember that all
> PIXMA devices have also different endpoints for storage, printer and
> scanner, and there's no issue so far with messing those devices.
> So this requires anyway deeper analysis, but filtering out usb classes
> in sanei_usb is a good precaution.
>
> BTW, we really read your posts and try to figure out where there's
> something wrong, but as you can understand, this usb issue is not
> trivial.

Well, the patch certainly looks sane (sorry, had to say it :), but I
worry there may be some stupid device that uses the usb mass storage
protocol to control the scanner. So it cannot go in one day before
code freeze.

A more generic solution would address the bigger problem of a device
with multiple 'vendor-specific' interfaces, or a device that uses
multiple endpoints of the same type. In the end, I think sanei_usb
needs to give more control to the backend about selecting all these
things. While we are at it, we should drop the kernel scanner module
support, since most of the platforms that use it have libusb/openusb
now. In fact, I wonder if we could just make a wrapper around
libusb...

allan