[sane-devel] Sane Permissions libusb and libsane.rules

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Wed Aug 26 05:49:40 UTC 2009

> I am running sane as root without issue.  Cannot access it from other
> users.  I have an Epson Perfection 640U scanner attached.
>
> I've read the readme file and followed the directions.  I copied the
> libsane.rules file to /etc/udev/rules.d with the name 60-libsane.rules.  I
> have a scanner group which contains my users.  The rules file has the same
> file permissions as the others in /etc/udev/rules.d.

Are you runnning the SANE version delivered with CentOS 5.3? If so you
sould not simply copy another libsane.rules file to /etc/udev/rules.d.

The rules file shipped with current SANE versions doesn't fit the udev
version delivered with CentOS 5.3.

That's why I said if you are using SANE from CentOS 5.3 you could just
edit the existing rules file to make it aware of your scanner group.

Regards,
Simon