[sane-devel] Canon PIXMA MX330 working, with -x auto and -y auto bug; data here

Nicolas Martin nicolas0martin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 20:57:05 UTC 2009

Le mercredi 09 décembre 2009 à 16:05 -0800, qm at sonic.net a écrit :
> > So let me know if I understand clearly:
> >
> > - MX330 works with the pixma backend. It was not yet declared in Sane
> > 1.0.20, but is declared in Sane git for a while now, with the proper usb
> > pid. If you install Sane git, MX330 should work out of the box.
> > No issue for MX330 on that side, I'll update the docs and supported
> > devices list for MX330.
>
> I wondered about that.  I didn't see git.  Sorry, and yes, that is good.
Thx

> > - There's an error with scanimage/pixma backend when setting explicitly
> > -x or -y options to "auto". This is the same for all pixma devices, so
> > probably something the pixma backend rejects for now, and that needs to
> > be checked.
>
> Yes, but as has been discussed already by now, we're not sure if those
> features are actually supported, and some seem to be sure they are not.
> The confusion comes in because the Microsoft XP MX330-packaged scanning
> software does do autodetect of a sort (when you specify "picture", it
> takes all picture-looking things and makes a seperate cropped file for
> each, and does a pretty darn good job of it without cutting too much or
> too little), so presumably that's software driven by the program in the
> computer, not in the scanner/multifunction device.
Yep, that's probably performed by the Canon software, roughly equivalent
to a Sane frontend.
Remember that you can use Gimp with Sane, scan from Gimp, then use
Gimp's powerful tools to process your images as desired.

> > Is there any other point I would have missed ?
>
> No, apparently the documentation was more outdated than git, so we're good
> once that's done.  If I had known this existed back in the summer, I would
> have had many more months of not having to run VMWARE with XP in it,
> crashing my computer so much ...
Doc in 1.0.20 was reflecting the pixma backend state at that time. Each
time a new device is added, documentation is (normally) updated
accordingly.
Good idea, I'll add a few words in the pixma man page, so as to invite
people to install the git version in case of trouble with a new model.

Nicolas