[sane-devel] problems on OS/2

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Fri Feb 6 01:52:34 UTC 2009

Chris Bagwell <chris at cnpbagwell.com> writes:

> Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> Based on the libtool/ltmain.sh code from the CVS snapshot (2009-02-05),
>> I would expect CURRENT to have a value of 2 (1 on FreeBSD and SunOS).
>> You get an empty string.  The '1:1:0' version information looks fine
>> to me.
>
> I do not see "os2" listed in that general area so it looks like empty
> string is to be expected takign this code path.

No.  I'd expect an error message about unknown library version type
and a "Fatal configuration error." because 'os2' would match the
wildcard.

> I can only guess we used to short-circuit some of this code before.
> Not obvious to me were that was at.

Oops!  I just realised that the code I was looking at was **after**
`autoreconf --force --install`.  The code in CVS is 11 months old and
does NOT have a wildcard that would match 'os2'.

The CVS version has:
  VERSION=1.5.22
  TIMESTAMP=" (1.1220.2.365 2005/12/18 22:14:06)"

After autoreconf, mine has:
  VERSION="1.5.26 Debian 1.5.26-4"
  TIMESTAMP=" (1.1220.2.493 2008/02/01 16:58:18)"

The libtool NEWS file mentions:

 * Fix error with -version-info on systems with version_type=none, such
   as BeOS.

for 1.5.23b, which may be related.

If OS/2 was happy with the ltmain.sh in the SANE CVS repository, I
suggest we add in a case for whatever version_type is appropriate
for OS/2.  May want to ping libtool upstream about this as well.

>> Can you rerun that command with `sh -x` instead of `sh` and send the
>> output of that.  A copy of the libtool script in your source directory
>> may be helpful as well.
>
> Yes, please.  Also, another thing to try for the heck of it is
> "./configure --disable-shared --enable-static" and see if it works in
> that mode.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2           FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS Corporation
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962