[sane-devel] Which HP-AIO Devices are supported by SANE

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 14:27:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 9:08 AM, m. allan noah <kitno455 at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are three ways to do this:
>
> 1. Run the configure command as I gave it to you, but without the
> quotes, continue with make, make install.
>
> 2. Simon's approach, just use the rpms. Download the rpm you want to
> install and try it. when it complains about a missing dependency,
> download that too, and try to install both of the them with one
> command. Continue this process until it installs, by which time you
> will be running Fedora 9 :)
>
> 3. The distro's approach, just reinstall the entire OS with something
> that contains the packages you want. Fedora 8 is pretty old at this
> point, and Fedora 10 is pretty good, and contains sane 1.0.19, and the
> hpaio drivers already installed.
>
> At this point, after watching you struggle for days to cut and paste
> the most basic commands into a terminal correctly, I would STRONGLY
> suggest #3.

But, if you continue with #2, here is a warning- rpm generally does
not overwrite config files. So, it will leave you with the old config
files in /etc/sane.d, which means that the new backend will not get
loaded, even if it is installed properly. So, you might want to remove
the /etc/sane.d directory before you try to upgrade those packages
with rpm. I dont know what effect this might have on hpaio, another
reason to just install a new distro.

allan